Saturday, April 4, 2009

Welcome to the Danger Zone

These past few weeks have been harrowing to say the least. Teaching in public schools is something like working in world-weird where you never know what challenge/sociopath will be thrown at you next. The hardest part is that teachers rights are non-existent which boils down to the fact that kids can hit, spit, curse and the like and we can....tell them that's a sad choice. Take that homicidal maniac. Thankfully I am not directly involved with the new Hannibal-esque student that just transferred in, but the strain on our staff is felt by many. I've been coming home and collapsing in a puddle. Being afraid for my life can be so exhausting.

One student who is my charge in the mornings, Little Copper, has taken a distinct disliking to me and I am greeted each morning by shin kicks, punches and cries for me to be fired. Ah well. That's one way to start the day. I tend to follow him languidly as he runs from me, I take long sips from my morning tea and make sure to keep him in eyesight but not to pushy about keeping him in kicking range. Hmmm. Not so sure I'll miss him and or his imaginary friends...especially not Hurricane Andrew.

My straight gig has been distracting me from my creative pursuits so right now I'm working double-time to prepare for my newest endeavor. My new venture is offering party 'entertainment' where I will teach kids (or of course adults). I'll teach things like screen printing, small sewing projects etc. My first party is for my youngest cousin's birthday party. I'm super excited and currently channeling my inner tween. I'm going to show the girls how to do screen printing. So now I need to go and watch High School Musical, read that Twilight book, write in my diary about how my parents are ruining my life and put on copious amounts of eyeliner. Yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment